2019’s Newest 3D Printing Innovations to Watch Out for from CES 2019
3D printing technology is about to get a lot more exciting this 2019 if the many product launches at the latest Computer Electronics Show (CES) are any indications. Held in Las Vegas last January, it featured new products from Shining 3D, Nexa3D, XYZPrinting, Polaroid, Formlabs, and Wiiv and Dr. Scholl. From new filaments to new 3D printers that have ground-breaking capabilities, here are the best 3D printing launches at this year’s CES.
Three new high-performance PLA blend filaments and hardened steel nozzle
(left-right): Antibacterial PLA, Metallic PLA, and Carbon Fiber PLA
2019 is the year of new innovations on PLA filaments. XYZprinting has come out with THREE new PLA blend filaments that are unlike any other in the market.
- The Antibacterial PLA is a filament that claims to inhibit bacterial growth by up to 99%, thanks to the silver ions integrated into the blend.
- They have also created their own iterations of Metallic and Carbon Fiber PLA filaments .
To accommodate these hardened filaments, XYZPrinting also released a new hardened steel nozzle that is more resistant to wear and tear.
Cutting-edge 3D printers
The main stars of the CES trade show are the 3D printers. There have been several launches from different companies.
(left-right): NXE400, Da Vinci Color, and PlaySmart 3D Printer
- NXE400 3D printer by Nexa3D: It is a high-speed large format SLA printer that is capable of printing up to “16 liters of parts volume at speeds of up to 1Z centimeter per minute”, according to the company.
- Da Vinci Color mini desktop system by XYZPrinting: It is a new full-colour 3D printer that is designed to produce realistic prototypes. It uses both fused filament fabrication (FFF) and Color Jet Printing (CJP) technology to make ready-made colourful prints without the need for post-processed painting.
- PlaySmart 3D Printer by Polaroid: Commonly known as an instant camera company, Polaroid has entered the foray of 3D printing with the PlaySmart 3D Printer. Slated for March 2019 release in UK and Europe, this wifi-controlled desktop printer that is equipped with smart features.
Upgraded 3D scanning devices
3D scanners get an upgrade in a major way this year with two new devices from Shining 3D. The EinScan Pro 2X and EinScan Pro 2X Plus are handheld devices that promise higher resolution and speed upgrade. They are able to process 1,500,000 points per second (30 fps) under the Handheld Rapid Scan Mode.
Ingenious 3D printed consumer products
3D printing is starting to be integrated into everyday consumer items. Johnson & Johnson released Neutrogena MaskiD, a 3D printed sheet mask that is customized by the consumer according to their face shape and skin issues.
While the integration of 3D printing into footwear is nothing new, the new partnership between Dr. Scholl and insole manufacturer Wivv aims to revolutionize insole production. They have created custom 3D printed insoles that consumers can easily design with the help of a smartphone app. It works by taking pictures of the consumers’ feet at different angles, which will then be used to create an insole structure.
2019 is shaping up to be an exciting year for 3D printing. With the rate that advancements are going, it won’t be long until everything we own is made through 3D printing. While it may take some time before these products get to our shore, you can check out X3D’s newest 3D printing products for the meantime.